Thursday, October 30, 2008

Breyton update

For those of you who actually read my blog here is an update on Breyton. For those of you who do not read my blog or haven't heard, here is the story. Tuesday morning Breyton wakes up not his normal self and with a fever. Kristen takes him to the pediatrician. Meanwhile I am at work and I get a call from Kristen telling me that I have to leave work right now because Breyton is being sent to Primary Childrens Medical Center in SLC. I make arrangements and leave a.s.a.p. At this point I have no idea why he is going to the hospital only that the pediatrician said that we need to get him there. So we get up to PCMC and go to the emergency room where they do the usual poking and prodding. They then tell us that his temperature is very high for such a young child. Apparently a fever in children under two months of age is very serious. They tell us to prepare to stay at least 24 hours and possibly longer. They then draw blood from his arm, give him an IV port in his ankle, insert a catheter, and inform us that they need to give little breybrey a spinal tap. What?!? Spinal tap? Are you serious? They needed to collect some spinal fluid to test to make sure he did not have a brain or spinal infection. Oh and they don't sedate young children for spinal taps either, I guess there are more risks involved with sedation on young children. That was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to personally wittness. The doctors gave us the option to leave because they realized that it would be difficult for us as parents to watch. I could not abandon my son. I know there was nothing I could do to help him but Kris and I felt it were better to stay. That proved to be difficult. After several hours the doctor came back and told us that all of the preliminary tests came back good and that we would be able to go home that night. That was nice. They gave him a megadose of antibiotics and got us going on our way. They next day we had to follow up with our pediatrician. She gave him some more antibiotics and then instructed us to take him to the local hospital to have more blood drawn for more tests. They think he has a virus and they are just trying to figure out which one. This morning our middle son woke up and threw up as we were walking out the door to take our oldest son to school. Great more sickness. Did I mention that my sister Alicia is getting married this Saturday? How about my sister Heather and her family are arriving tonite from Washington? When Ethan gets home from school he starts to complain of not feeling well. Wow, when it rains it poors. Luckily he has not thrown up, yet. Knock on wood. Kris and I are thinking that maybe the boys are feeling the effects of their flu shots they got on Tuesday, theres always hope. It seems that everytime My sister comes to visit her kids or our kids get sick. So it has been a sad and pathetic running joke that I wish would not come true but inevitably it does. Ethans birthday party was tonite also. Now the encouraging news. Breyton's fever broke a mere hour ago and he is already acting better and more like his normal self. It has been a long set of few days. Thanks to all of you who watched our kids, prayed for us, or help us in any other way. We are very appreciative. Thank You. Wish us luck for tomorrow is Halloween and then we have my sisters wedding and if things go well we will bless breyton this Sunday. Thanks again, to everyone for your love and support.

1 comment:

Brandon & Jillyn Larsen said...

sorry to hear about breyton. i was over at amber and mikes picking up virginia when mike told me he was headed back to work for this reason. i hope everyone is doing good now! hope ethan had a good b-day and a fun halloween!